Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Marketing Mishaps: Having a Poverty Mindset

Marketing Mishaps: Having a Poverty Mindset


This one is admittedly a bit off our regular topics, particularly for Marketing Mishaps. One might even call it somewhat "woo-woo." Whatever you call it, though, one fact remains clear: The best marketing in the world will NEVER help you succeed in your business if you come from a poverty mindset.

What exactly do we mean by a poverty mindset? A thought process that is based in lack, want, a perception of being 'less than', victimhood, or any other mindset that focuses on what you do not have. Whether you know it or not — and more importantly, whether you believe it or not — your thoughts are incredibly powerful, and they are constantly working to attract to you exactly what they're focused on.

Say your #1 client just pulled their account for a reason completely unrelated to you. Now you're looking at your quarterly projections, starting to feel stressed out and worried about how you'll make up that deficit. This is a completely normal reaction, right? Yes — it's normal, but it's not productive. In fact, it's 100 percent counterproductive to attracting a new client to replace the one you lost. 

So what are you supposed to do when a challenge comes at you unexpectedly? First of all, take a giant, deeeeeeep breath. Then another. And another still. Keep going until you feel the stress dissipating, at least a little. 

Next up, get into a space of gratitude. "Are you out of your mind?" you might be wondering right now. "I've just lost my biggest client and you want me to be thankful?!" Yeppers. Thankful. Hopefully you don't have to think too hard to come up with something for which you are grateful. Write it down. Then, think of another thing, and write that one down, too. Keep going until you have a list that covers the entire sheet of paper.

What's the point? Gratitude refocuses our thoughts, moving them away from what we do NOT have to instead concentrate on what we DO have. In this way, we move out of lack thinking and that poverty mindset into a consciousness where we can more easily embrace and attract the wealth we ultimately seek.

What if you're just starting out, and you only have a few clients? Be fabulously grateful for those few clients! What if you don't have any clients yet? Be grateful for the opportunities awaiting you to meet and connect with new clients. I promise you, as long as you're breathing, you can find something to be grateful for.

CHALLENGE FOR YOU

How can you turn around the following statements, which are focused on negativity and lack, instead building them into powerful, positive affirmations based in a wealth mindset?
  • I don't know why I even bother networking; I never get any new clients from these events.
  • Oh, great. Another [_____fill in the blank with your industry title_____]. How can I compete when there are so many of us in this business?
  • Susie Smith doesn't even try and she gets business. It's just not fair.
  • I'd have more freedom and flexibility to build my business if I had a wealthy husband to rely on, too.
  • I'm so behind I don't think I'll ever catch up.

Can you see how each of these scenarios is focused on lack or victim thinking? Part of transitioning to prosperity thinking is recognizing the sabotaging language for what it is, and then practicing at reframing those concepts into supportive, grateful, positive language. For example, we could change the first bullet point to say something like, "I look forward to networking because I get to meet so many interesting new people. If I keep showing up, I'm sure I'll make great connections."

Additionally, it may help to have a phrase at the ready to substitute when you catch yourself spouting negativisms. My personal challenge is a tendency to run just a bit late to get to meetings. Sometimes, I'll get behind the slowest driver on the road, just as I'm in the biggest hurry. The phrase I always fall back on is, "Everything is perfect, exactly the way it is." If I just remember to say that a few times, I calm down, no  matter how stressed out I might be.

The most important thing to remember is that you are the biggest factor in your success. Not the economy. Not your business partner. Not the strength of your networking groups. YOU. Develop a prosperity mindset, and watch your marketing campaign ignite!
____________

We invite you to do 2 things next:

  1. Visit our Web site to download your free Website Design Worksheet.
  2. Visit our Facebook page and "Like" it if you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment